Another comment I hear all the time from students and friend is “I don’t have a passion”. It’s always sad to hear and a little frustrating, especially from the older people. Give me a break folks, there’s no way you should be hitting your mid to late 20s and still telling people that you can’t decide what you’re passionate about. Here’s a news flash, everyone wrestles with their career in their mid 20s. It’s hard and involves paying dues and working through challenge – I get it. But the thing about paying dues is that it determines whether you’re willing to work hard to get where you want or if you’re just a poser and are out of your field.
Hopefully you were lucky enough to realize that you didn’t have a particular passion before you hit your mid 20s, but maybe you’re not. Either way, my answer is the same. I NEVER advocate wholesale life change without proper planning and careful decision making. You can clearly make a bad situation worse by diving off into the deep end of the pool before checking to make sure the draw string on your trunks is pulled tight.
I suggest a deliberate approach. Take one small step in a direction you think you’re interested in. Test it, try it and determine if it’s right for you (all the while continuing to invest in what you’re currently doing). Interested in photography? start taking pictures and sharing them with people. Interested in design? Take a class or download google sketch (it’s free) and start working up designs. Interested in programming computers? start learning a programming language (html is a good simple start). Don’t take huge leaps, take small baby steps. This isn’t about hitting home runs, this is about hitting singles.
Life is rarely run by huge leaps and bounds. Gladwell claims it takes 10,000 hours of practice to become an expert. I’m advocating a life investment process that works much like Taleb’s investing process. Invest 90% in solid SAFE investments (far more safe than anything you can imagine). Invest 40+ hours per week in your regular job, then invest the other 10% in risky highly speculative moves. Work on your novel, shoot your movie, start pursuing that new career that you think might really be your thing. The risk is definitely worth the investment. At worst, you’ll decide it wasn’t really for you. At best, you’ll find your new life direction.